4.09.2008

This One's on Me

Harry's Bar, the famed Venice watering hole where Ernest Hemingway held court over hearty food and stiff martinis, is offering a discount to "poor" Americans suffering from a weak dollar and subprime blues. . .

"Harry's Bar of Venice, in an effort to make the American victims of subprime loans happier, has decided to give them a special 20 percent discount on all items of the menu during the short term of their recovery." (Full Story)

At first I thought this was rather trivial. Seriously, if I can afford a trip to Venice I don't think that 20% is going to be that significant. After some thought, though, I never would have read an article about this bar if he hadn't done this. Whether I like it or not, this is good marketing.

[Photo via jfklibrary]

(By the by, searching for an image of Hemingway and a bar was interesting).